I have yet to make the conscious decision to eat an evenly planned, nutritious diet everyday. My young prerogative, but I refuse to be unhealthy. A part of counteracting my lifestyle is making an effort to stay as nutritious as possible. I use supplements to supplement my eating habits as my body needs. I do not use them to replace the natural nutrition food provides.
Once yearly, at the same time as my physical exam, I visit my nutritionist to review my health. I run every vitamin, mineral and herb pass my doctor. If you can visit your doctor without issue, please ask them about any supplements in mind. Your doctor will also recommend vitamins to you based on your lab work & any desired change you may have.
Vitamins can be fat or water soluble. Water soluble vitamins can be taken in any excess, just to be excreted out via urine. Fat soluble vitamins are stored in fat cells, only to be released into your bloodstream as needed. Due to their storage, fat soluble vitamins can lead to problems, even toxicity. Do not exceed the 100% daily value via fat soluble supplements unless directed by a medical professional.
- Powder & chew-able vitamins are an option for those who experience nausea or anxiety from pills.
- Gummy vitamins may introduce extra sugars and caffeine into your diet.
- Research each supplement brand, vitamins are poorly regulated and can be of poor quality.
- Consider the effects of each and every vitamin in a multivitamin.
- Supplement blends can be expensive and wasteful. Read and research the nutrition label as it may lead you to a substitute combination, saving you time and money.
- Check how many pills are in a dosage. Taking several pills daily may persuade you off of your routine.
- Remind yourself, place your supplements where you can see them and set a reminder if needed.
Biotin | 3,000-5,000mcg daily
I’ve only started taking biotin regularly for the past six or so weeks. My nails saw immediate effects, stronger underneath my acrylics with a healthier appearance. My hair typically grows a sliver less than an inch per month. I have only seen a slight improvement in hair growth but my new-growth has strengthened and became more coarse. The myth is partially true for me, biotin crip walks on my face something serious. Luckily for me, my birth control pills alone counteract the skin side effects that come with biotin. I only see less than spectacular skin a few days a month, when I’m menstruating and not taking my pill. I will continue biotin for another month, if my hair growth does not improve I will cease.
Glucosamine Sulfate | 200 mg daily
I swear I have joints past their mid life crisis, they have given me pain and even injury since I was in high school. My back, wrist knees can ache relatively often, especially during less than warm weather. Glucosamine minimizes my aching without me having to reach for any pain medicine. Its purpose is to support joint cartilage and improve flexibility. Lord knows I love flexibility.
Iron | 75mg 5x a month
I am a meat loving bitch in a few ways – iron has never been an issue for me though anemia is very common within my family. I take these to minimize the clotting I experience during my period. They are the BC placebo replacement for sugar pills, I used to discard them until I realized they assist me monthly.
Mood: Mighty Healthy – Ghostface Killah